Here is a brief overview of the test results and research findings for this ExpressVPN review:
Pros of ExpressVPN
- Excellent speeds throughout the server network
- User-friendly and reliable VPN apps (support for all devices)
- Strong encryption, great security features, and no leaks
- Located in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction (BVI)
- Proven no logs VPN provider
- Large, secure server network, servers running in RAM-disk mode
- Works with Netflix, great for streaming
- Browser extensions with HTTPS Everywhere
- Split tunneling feature
- Great Android and iOS apps
- Dedicated VPN router app (for unlimited connections)
- Great customer support (24/7 live chat + 30 day money-back guarantee)
Cons of ExpressVPN
- More expensive than some rivals (but see the 49% discount coupon)
Additional research findings
- ExpressVPN leak testing tools
- Can you use ExpressVPN for torrenting? (Yes)
- Does ExpressVPN work in China? (Yes)
- ExpressVPN now allows 5 connections
Here are the pros of ExpressVPN:
1. Excellent speeds throughout the server network
ExpressVPN is easily one of the fastest VPNs I’ve tested, with consistently fast speeds throughout the server network.
For this ExpressVPN review, I ran all speed tests on a 160 Mbps wired connection from my physical location in Germany, using 256-bit OpenVPN on the most up-to-date ExpressVPN apps.
Nearby ExpressVPN server speeds
First I ran tests with nearby ExpressVPN servers, which were relatively close to my physical location, and the speeds were all very impressive.
ExpressVPN server in Frankfurt, Germany: 147 Mbps
This speed test result nearly maxed out my baseline connection speed, but it was not an anomaly: all nearby ExpressVPN servers were fast.
ExpressVPN server in Switzerland: 150 Mbps
ExpressVPN server in the United Kingdom: 147 Mbps
If you need a UK VPN service with excellent speeds, ExpressVPN is a good option.
With all ExpressVPN servers in Europe, my speed was well over 100 Mbps, with the average being between 140 and 150 Mbps. These are amazing speed test results – to say the least.
Long-distance ExpressVPN server speeds
Next, I ran a number of long-distance speed tests using servers in the United States and Canada, which are further away from my physical location. Normally with long-distance speed tests, there’s a considerable reduction in speed due to higher latency. With ExpressVPN, however, the reduction was very minimal.
ExpressVPN server in New York: 141 Mbps
Considering the distance, this is another great speed test result.
ExpressVPN server in New Jersey: 136 Mbps
All of the ExpressVPN servers I tested in the United States performed well, between 120 and 142 Mbps. For readers in the US needing a VPN for USA, ExpressVPN would be a solid choice given the speeds and security.
I also tested a few ExpressVPN servers in Canada. The locations I tested were Toronto and Montreal, and both servers had excellent speeds:
Once again, server speeds were excellent for Canadian servers, making ExpressVPN one of the best VPNs for Canada.
These are among the best long-distance speed tests I’ve seen.